Posts Tagged ‘hearing’
It’s totally done. I’m now officially in my new writing space!
While designing my haven, I held close the five senses:
Sight ~ Hearing ~ Touch ~ Smell ~ Taste
By incorporating these within the physical room, I’ve provided myself with the inspiration to include all five senses in every scene I write. The gentle reminders bring awareness so I can write to ultimately enrich my reader’s experience.
- Sight – I selected a soft pink for the walls with white ceiling and window/door trims. The “slipper” pink is soothing and brings comfort. Each picture I’ve selected to dress the walls hold special meaning. Using Aunt Lee’s original desk, my doll collection finally sees the light of day: Chatty Cathy and American Girls Mia and Nellie. Anne of Green Gables stands on top of the bookcase and my baby doll is nestled against the love seat.
- Hearing – It’s a long awaited quietness except for the ceiling fan spinning or the occasional animal sounds coming from the cows, cats, or birds outside. Whenever they find me, I can immediately hear toenails tapping against the new handscraped hickory floors as my Dobie girls, Beth and Anna, enter the room. Neither a television show nor a YouTube video is heard unless I want to hear! Celtic Harp cd is ready in the player, waiting patiently for me to press play!
- Touch – Different textures fill the room and top my desk. The white lace curtains hanging in the windows blow softly against the breeze as if reaching out to touch me. Each time I pass one window to get to my desk, I do gently, purposely touch the lace before it reaches me. The quilt top covering the daybed has thousands of stitches causing puffs to the all cotton fabric. This provides an interesting texture as I smooth the covering from the latest use by Beth or Anna. The brushed corduroy swivel rocker next to the twill upholstered love seat offers a choice of textures, depending on my mood. Even my spinning wheel is in here!
- Smell – Fortunately the fresh paint smell has dissipated and the lemon oil polish used to give all the wood furniture a nice drink is fading. I never realized how fragrant a soy candle can be when not burning. I love the one I bought when Mother, Linda, Leasa, Leslie and I went on our girls’ day out. It is a scented mixture of eucalyptus and lavender and was purchased specifically with this room in mind.
- Taste – Coffee! I retired my Christmas mug I’ve used for over ten years and now exclusively use the mug I bought in Ireland almost a year ago! How can coffee taste so much better with a special mug? It must be the room!